Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

Massage Therapy Q & A...

Many extended health insurance plans cover massage therapy treatments when provided by a Registered Massage Therapist. They often do not require a physician's order for treatments, although some may still have this requirement. Many plans require that the covered individual pay for the treatment and submit the expense for reimbursement.

Most Registered Massage Therapists will require payment upon the provision of services. As most are operating as an independent practitioner, they are not in a position to provide credit, that is, wait until payment is received under extended health plans,

before receiving payment. Please be sure to discuss this with your RMT before treatment.

Massage Therapy may also be covered by insurance companies when treating injuries resulting from a motor vehicle accident (MVA), or from a workplace injury through the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), or through Veterans Affairs. 

No. Massage therapy treatments are not covered under OHIP, regardless of whether the treatments are provided by a Registered Massage Therapist directly, by a physician or required (i.e. a prescription) by a physician.

Most progressive extended health benefit plans do cover massage therapy treatments when provided by a Registered Massage Therapist and most do not require a physician's order to do so. Contact your employer for more information.

In Canada, before a health profession can be exempted from charging HST the profession must be regulated in a minimum of five (5) provinces. Registered Massage Therapists are a regulated health profession currently in only three (3) Provinces, Ontario, Newfoundland and British Columbia. Legislation is in progress in several other provinces at various stages. These include Alberta, Manitoba and Nova Scotia.

The RMTAO, is working to ensure that Massage Therapists become regulated in other provinces and will be asking the Canadian Government to allow the exemption as soon as possible.

In the meantime, most Massage Therapists are HST-registered under the rules established by the Canadian Government are required to charge HST.

In order to become a Registered Massage Therapist in Ontario, an individual must complete an educational program at an educational institution recognized by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.

Upon graduation, the individual must become registered with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO), the regulatory body for the profession. This includes the completion of Certification Examinations.

Certification Examinations include two components, Multiple-Choice Examination and Objective Structured Clinical Evaluation (OSCE). Successful completion of both components of the certification examination is a non-exemptible requirement for all candidates seeking registration with the College.

For more information about the examination process or the CMTO, visit

Click to Book an 

Appointment Online

Invest in

your body...